Cost: $150. The S.T.A.R. Puppy Evaluation is included!
VIP Club Members: $135
What's the VIP Club?
Current Starlet participants get first dibs at spots, then it is opened to the waiting list one month prior to class starting. GET ON THE WAIT LIST to secure you're spot in line!
For the benefit of all participants, we keep our classes small (1 instructor per 4 students). Classes fill up quickly!
Puppy must be between 18 weeks and 6 months on the day class starts.
Class meets Wednesday evenings at 7:15pm, for 7 weeks. Pre-registration is required.
2019 Session Dates
- Session 1, Jan. 9 - Feb. 20- Waitlist
- Saturday 2pm, Jan. 26 - March 9- Waitlist
- Saturday 3:15pm, Jan. 26 - March 9- Waitlist
- Saturday 2pm, March 16 - April 27- Waitlist
- Saturday 3:15pm, March 16 - April 27- Waitlist
- Session 2, Feb. 27 - April 10- Waitlist
- Session 3, April 17 - May 29- Waitlist
- Session 4, June 5 - July 17- Waitlist
- Session 5, July 24 - Sept. 4- Waitlist
- Session 6, Sept. 11 - Oct. 23- Waitlist
- Session 7, Nov. 6 - Dec. 18- Waitlist
TTK9 Training Center located at:
924 N. Parker Dr.
Janesville, WI 53545
What is S.T.A.R. Puppy?
Prepare your puppies for Canine Good Citizen class with S.T.A.R. Puppy! This class includes the S.T.A.R. Puppy Curriculum (outlined at the bottom of this page), including Owner Responsibilities, Puppy Behaviors, and Pre-Canine Good Citizen Test Behaviors, as well as additional confidence building and obedience. S.T.A.R. Puppy is for 4-6 month old puppies. Start your puppy off on the right "paw"-- sign up now!
See what our clients have to say about The Thinking K9's S.T.A.R. Puppy program:
I would highly recommend The Thinking K9 for the STAR program and it's instructor Barbara Smith. The most outstanding quality this program offered for me was it significantly increased my dog's confidence in himself and his trust in me. There were challenges at the beginning of the class my dog would not do at all but at the end of class not only would he do them but he also did not hesitate to try other new challenges! The class is limited to six dogs for more one on one training with the instructor. It is "Positive Training"--treats and praise are used--not yanking and pulling.There are various types of equipment for the dogs to try and they usually succeed through practice. The dogs have fun using this equipment to build their confidence and trust. Educational and informational handouts for each class are provided on line. Diplomas for each class are provided and graduation pictures are available on line for you to download and share. A great training experience for my dog and me!~ Nancy Drake & Joe the Bulldog
S.T.A.R. Puppy Curriculum
S.T.A.R. Puppy stands for:
This class covers the following, and so much more!
- Maintains puppy’s health (vaccines, exams, appears healthy)
- Owner receives Responsible Dog Owner’s Pledge
- Owner describes adequate daily play and exercise plan
- Owner and puppy attend at least 6 classes by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator
- Owner brings bags to classes for cleaning up after puppy
- Owner has obtained some form of ID for puppy-collar tag, etc.
- Free of aggression toward people during at least 6 weeks of class
- Free of aggression toward other puppies in class
- Tolerates collar or body harness of owner’s choice
- Owner can hug or hold puppy (depending on size)
- Puppy allows owner to take away a treat or toy
Pre-Canine Good Citizen® Test Behaviors:
- Allows (in any position) petting by a person other than the owner
- Grooming-Allows owner handling and brief exam (ears, feet)
- Walks on a Leash-Follows owner on lead in a straight line (15 steps)
- Walks by other people-Walks on leash past other people 5-ft away
- Sits on command-Owner may use a food lure
- Down on command-Owner may use a food lure
- Comes to owner from 5-ft when name is called
- Reaction to Distractions-distractions are presented 15-ft away
- Stay on leash with another person (owner walks 10 steps and returns)